Tuesday 18 December 2007

Doctor, ceramicist, artist,,,

This posting is my tribute to the talents of Carl Chang, a GP who attended my Open Studio sessions some ten years or more ago. He is a very talented individual, who runs a large and thriving practice in Enfield, but has 'other lives' as an artist. I wonder if I can persuade him to send me photos of the dark and disturbing Chinese funereal pots he made at the time of the Open Studio classes.


Fortunately for me and the world at large his mood lightened after a couple of years, and he developed his own Ĺ“uvre, a little of which is illustrated here. One of his particular skills (apart from general flair on the wheel) is that of free-hand decoration round the rim of his bowls, whether painted or fretted. Carl has also spent a considerable amount of effort on portrait painting in oils, but I don't have any photos.

1 comment:

Hayley Starr said...

Hello, do you happen to know what type of glazes are used on the second pot with the carvings and what the cone may be? It is gorgeous.